Rare seared Albacore Tuna, Hot Sopressata Salami, New Potatoes, Kale Pesto & Mustard Seed Gastrique
Serves 4 as an appetizer
Cooking time approx. one hour
For the Tuna:
- one Albacore tuna loin, 400- 500 grams
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp cold pressed sunflower oil
- Heat a frying pan on medium high. Have your hood fan on this is going to smoke.
- Rub the tuna with 1 tbsp oil and seasoning.
- Add the tuna to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, turn onto the next side and cook 2 minutes, turn onto the last side and cook for 2 minutes. (the tuna is basically shaped like a triangle)
- Remove to clean tray and refrigerate.
For the Kale Pesto:
- 6 cups kale leaves, blanched & squeezed out
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup (maybe more) olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth, you may need a little more oil. Remove to a clean bowl & refrigerate.
Mustard Seed Gastrique:
- 1 c. malt vinegar
- 1 c. rich beer
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Kozlik's Brown Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 cup Kozlik's Triple Crunch
- Place all ingredients in a pot, & bring to a boil. Reduce to a hard simmer & simmer for 20 -25 minutes or until reduced by half & the consistency of maple syrup. Remove from the heat, pour in to a clean container & chill until needed.
Assemble the Dish
- 8 new potatoes, cooked and cut in half
- 8 slices hot sopressata salami
- the reserved tuna. sliced in 1/2" slices (you may have some leftover it makes great pasta with green olives)
- the reserved gastrique
- the reserved pesto
- Smear 2 tbsp of pesto in the centre of 4 plates
- Place the potatoes on the pesto. Drape the salami over the potatoes and place 3 slices of tuna on each stack.
- Drizzle with the gastrique and serve.
Recipe by Chef Bruce Wood