- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chili peppers, fine chopped
- 1 tsp. chili flakes, ground
- ½ lb. crimini mushrooms
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 ½ lb. roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- 4 tbs. Kozlik's Italian Mostarda
- salt and pepper
- ½ lb. penne
- grated parmesan for topping
In a large pot heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic, chilies, mushrooms, chili powder, and bacon. Cook for about 5 - 10 minutes until the bacon fat is translucent, stirring frequently so as not to brown.
Add the tomatoes and the mustard, reduce the heat and simmer slowly for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens. Add the basil salt and pepper.
Cook the pasta in boiling water until "al dente". Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Stir in well, and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
Serve with grated parmesan and chopped basil for garnish.