Green Beans With Cashews and Coconut
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes or chips
- 2 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (1/4-inch-thick) coins fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Kozlik's yellow mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Large pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 large basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 1 pound green or wax beans, trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped roasted cashews (salted or unsalted, to taste)
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Place a large, dry skillet over medium-high heat. Add coconut flakes and toast, shaking pan occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer flakes to a bowl.
- Heat oil in the same skillet. Add garlic, ginger, mustard seed, turmeric, red pepper flakes and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in basil, green beans and salt. Toss well to coat in oil and seasonings.
- Add 1/3 cup water, cover partly and reduce heat to medium. Cook until beans are tender, about 8 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beans are wilted and lightly coloured. Toss in cashews and coconut flakes. Serve over rice, with lime wedges.